As a mother, I always try and ensure that my children have a very healthy and filling breakfast before they go off to school. Most importantly I am aware that they need to focus on what they are being taught at school and that is why I think it is important that they get the right breakfast that is not only wholesome, healthy, nutritious and filling but also helps them to focus better. I would say that such breakfast items are not only ideal for children but for all of us as we all have things that we do in the course of the day that require our full concentration. Here I list seven foods that will help you focus better if you have them for breakfast.
- OATMEAL – A complete meal on its own, oats are the ideal start to your long day. Get your mental juices flowing with a bowl of oatmeal every day. Oats are rich in fibre, iron, zinc, potassium, Vitamin B and other nutrients that help the brain function at full capacity. It helps regulate blood sugar and keeps you full until your next meal time.
- EGGS – Eaten boiled, scrambled or omelette, eggs are rich in protein and have the ability to make you fill full as well as help in keeping your brain charged for the rest of the day. Eggs also have choline, a B vitamin that plays a role in brain function and memory.
- BERRIES – these colourful varieties of berries, by which I mean blueberries, strawberries, mulberries, blackberries and cranberries, are full of antioxidants and phytochemicals which help improve learning, thinking and memory and provide the much needed power to your brain. They are rich in tannins, which protect brain cells. Eat them as they are or add them to your oats.
- AVOCADO – This versatile fruit can be eaten on its own or in a sandwich as a spread. It is an excellent source of monosaturated fats and helps improve brain function and memory.
- ALMONDS – My mother always used to give me a couple of almonds every morning when I was a kid. They are rich on protein and fibre and by maintaining blood sugar levels, help you stay focused. They are also an excellent source of Vitamin E. Add them to your oats everyday or just munch a few whilst eating your breakfast.
- WATER – We eat a healthy breakfast but we forget the most important drink that our body and brain needs. It is important to dehydrate your body in the morning otherwise it can have serious effects on your brain and body. Drinking water in the morning helps you concentrate better throughout the day.
- APPLES – An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Not only that it helps you focus better. Eat an apple everyday whilst driving to work or reading your morning paper. Apples are rich in quercetin, which helps protect the brain cells.
Make a promise to yourself that you will incorporate the above foods in your breakfast every day.