Stretch marks are the slightly lighter in color lines that appear on the skin creating an unappealing and almost ugly impression. Stretch marks often present a nasty sight, which is why most women are constantly seeking of ways to get rid of them. They make the women feel self conscious and even uncomfortable about their body. Contrary to the popular belief stretch marks do not appear only on the abdominal area or the body but can affect areas like thighs, buttocks and even breasts.
What Causes Stretch Marks?
Most women get these marks as a side effect of pregnancy and this often leaves them frustrated and depressed. However, stretch marks might also be caused due to various other reasons, the most important amongst these being sudden gain or loss of weight, hereditary factors, rapid growth, changes in the physical conditions of the body and even excessive stress.
The biological reasons responsible for the appearance of stretch marks go much deeper into the skin. The marks start appearing when the skin is stretched to the point where the normal production cycle of collagen is interrupted or even damaged. This cause fine scars to develop just underneath the top layer of the skin which later turn into stretch marks.
Discussed below are the five most effective home remedies that can help to erase the stress marks and regain the naturally beautiful skin.
- Sugar: The naturally exfoliating effects of sugar make it a perfect remedy to erase stretch marks. Add a few drops of lemon juice and almond oil to a heaped tablespoon of sugar placed in a bowl and mix well. Rub this mixture for a few minutes on the affected area of the skin and then rinse off with warm water before pat drying. Using this method regularly on a daily basis for a month will definitely provide some positive results.
- Castor Oil: Castor oil is renowned for being an effective remedy for a host of skin issues and hence is just right for stretch mark removal. Apply the oil and massage it gently in a circular motion on the affected areas. Next wrap these areas with a clean cloth and apply heat to them using a heating pad for a minimum of 30 minutes. Repeating the process everyday or even several times a week will provide excellent results.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera, with its cooling and healing effects, is considered extremely beneficial for enhancing skin health and beauty. Rub the affected areas of the skin with a few leaves of this medicinal herb for several minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water. Using this remedy everyday is sure to provide favorable results in terms of removal of stretch marks.
- Potato Juice: Potato juice is a rich source of vitamins and minerals and proves extremely effective in helping the repair and regrowth of skin cells. The method of application is also quite simple and involves cutting the potato into thick slices and rubbing them on the affected areas for 5 to 10 minutes. After the juice dries up on the skin, it should be allowed to remain there for several minutes before rinsing off with clean water.
- Egg Whites: Egg whites are known to offer a multitude of benefits for enhancing the beauty of the skin and also prove effective in removing stretch marks. Take the whites of two eggs in a bowl and whip them up till become creamy. Apply a layer of this cream on the affected areas of the skin gently with the fingers or by using a brush. Let the mixture dry completely before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Apply a few drops of olive oil to moisturize the skin and repeat the process daily to get optimal results.