Breast cancer is one of the most common forms of this deadly disease that is spreading at an alarming rate. In fact, according to a statement issued by the World Health Organization, the disease in expanding its reach so rapidly that by 2020 one in every eight women will run the risk of being infected by disease. While there is no sure shot method of preventing the disease, maintaining a healthy diet regime can help prevent the ailment. Given below are the brief details of some healthy foods that can reduce the risk of breast cancer by a significant margin.
- Broccoli: This green vegetable contains a compound called sulforaphane, which has been found effective in reducing the number of breast cancer stem cells. It is best to consume the vegetable raw or after steaming or stir frying the florets as boiling can destroy the sulforaphane.
- Garlic: Garlic contains ample amounts of allyl sulfide, which has been found to influence the cell cycling process that makes healthy cells cancerous. To get the best benefits, it is advisable to take a clove of garlic ever morning on empty stomach.
- Fruits: Fruits such as plums, peaches, apples and pomegranate are known to be rich sources of cancer reducing components. They also contain high quantity of antioxidants that provide anti-cancer nutrition. However, it is advisable to eat the fruits raw, with their peals on.
- Walnuts: Walnuts have been rightly classified as a super since they help in slowing the growth of breast cancer tumor besides preventing several other diseases. They are also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and natural phytosterols and antioxidants, which make this nut a perfect anti-cancer food. It is recommended to eat at least one whole walnut each day.
- Turmeric: This spice is a rich source of a chemical called curcumin, which plays a vital role in fighting breast cancer tumor and other forms of the disease. It is also an anti-inflamatory, which enhances the overall health of the consumers. A pinch of turmeric introduced in the everyday diet can help women to keep breast cancer at bay.
- Beans: This common everyday vegetable is a rich source of folate, fiber and various other nutrients that help in fighting cancer cells. Eating ½ cup of different types of beans every day can prove extremely effect to help reduce the chances of breast cancer in women by at least 7%.
- Fish: Fish, especially salomon, is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids as well as vitamins B12 and D. These supply the necessary nutrients to the body for regulating cell growth and preventing cancer. Eating fish in any form, such as steamed, baked, grilled or even sautéed can help reduce the risk of breast cancer significantly.
- Flaxseed: Whether flaxseed is taken in whole form or in its grounded form or is consumed as oil, it offers an effective way to prevent cancer. The seed is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and also contains lignans and fibre that hep in forming a protective shield against cells causing breast cancer. Flaxseed can be easily integrated into the everyday diet in different forms to live a cancer free and longer life.