The desire to have a fit and great looking body makes many people choose to start going to a gym, without actually gaining information about what they should do and what they should expect. Therefore, many first timers find the experience to be exhausting and even scary, which makes them give up on the decision and causes them much financial loss besides shattering their hopes of getting back in shape. Listed below are some helpful tips that can ensure that your first experience of working out at the gym is not depressing or stressful but enjoyable and motivating.
- To start of your gym experience on a positive note it is essential to bring the right things and accessories that will prove helpful during your workout. These basically include a water bottle, a towel and ay toiletries you might need to freshen up after the workout. In case you sweat too much, be sure to bring along sweat bands for your forehead and at least a pair of ties if you support long hair.
- In genera you will be given a tour of the gym on your very first day and will be introduced to the various facilities and amenities being offered. Try to make the most of this opportunity and seek answers to any questions or doubts that might arise on your mind while taking the tour. These might not necessarily be related to your workout, but that should not prevent you from asking them anyways.
- If you are not provided the same, seek information about your trainer and where you can find him/her. It is even better to hold a face to face meeting with the trainer before your first day at the gym. However, I you have not been able to do so, don’t panic. Just go and meet your trainer and tell them about your fitness objectives and they will guide you in the best possible manner.
- Make sure that you follow the instructions of your trainer quite closely. In case you do not understand anything, simply request them to repeat the instruction again, rather than trying to second guess it. This is essential to ensure your safety and also not to make you feel overburdened and exhausted on the very first day.
- Try to make some friends but do not force yourself on anyone. Remember that you are there to workout not socialize as is everybody else. So don’t feel offended if nobody returns your smiles or responds to your friendly approach. They might be too busy exercising and too tired to respond to you with the same warmth and enthusiasm. Better still take along your friend on the first day to avoid feeling alone.
- Never ever clutter your workout area in the gym by putting your things just about anywhere. If you have not been allotted a locker yet, just keep your things piled up in a corner near your workout area. Also make sure that you do not bring any expensive items to the gym as you might be asked to remove them and misplacing them or losing them will be entirely your responsibility.