Daily oat diet for beautiful skin
Preventing constipation, strengthening the immune system, reducing the susceptibility to the diseases such as cancer etc., oats make the most widely consumed alternative for the breakfast. Even though oatmeal and oats are generally presumed to be the same thing, it’s important to note the difference between both. Oats are raw and unrefined, while the oatmeal is refined oats which are used in porridge and cereal. There cannot be better way than to kick-start your day with a bowl full of oats. It is considered as one of the healthiest food in the world and has high nutrition value. Oats are packed with the minerals like thiamin, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium along with dietary fibers. Since it is quite low in the saturated fats, cholesterol and sodium, it is very low in calories and aids in losing weight and maintaining optimum health. Scientifically called as ‘Avena sativa’, oats is an acclimatized cereal grain which can withstand the low temperatures and heavy rains. In India, oats is called ‘Jaei’ in Hindi. It is widely grown in the states of Uttar Pradesh and Punjab.
Oats- house of nutrition
The nutrient composition of the oats is well- balanced. These are a very good source of fiber and carbs, including the powerful fiber called beta- glucan (1, 2, and 3). Oats also consist of more fat and protein as compared to most grains. Oats contain important minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidant plant compounds. 78 grams, i.e. half a cup of dry oats consist of the following:
- Phosphorus (41 percent of RDI)
- Manganese ( 191 percent of RDI)
- Magnesium (34 % of RDI)
- Iron (20% of RDI)
- Copper (24% of RDI)
- Folate (11% of RDI)
- Thiamin (vitamin B1) – 39% of RDI
- Zinc (20% of RDI)
- Vitamin B5 – pantothenic acid- 10% of RDI
- Small amounts of potassium, calcium, vitamin B6 and vitamin B3
This comes with 51 g carbs, 13g protein, 5 g fat and 8 g fiber, but just 303 calories. This concludes that oats are among the most nutrient- filled foods you can have.
Ways of making instant oatmeal more exciting:
- Add dried fruits like dried cranberries, raisins, dried cherries, sweetened shredded coconut or dates.
- Add frozen or fresh fruit.
- Add chopped nuts such as almonds and walnuts.
- Add a tbsp. or two of your favorite granola.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Add a dribble of pure delicious maple syrup.
- Add a little drop of yogurt.
- Stir in some tsps. Of your fruit preserves or jam and turn your oatmeal into a fruity carnival bowl.
- Crush some dry breakfast cereal in your oatmeal.
- Add 1 tbsp. of ice cream in your oatmeal.
Health benefits of oats:
- Helps in reducing cholesterol.
- Controlling blood pressure.
- Protects the heart
- Give protection against cancer
- Helps in losing weight
- Reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Helps in improving the defense of the immune system
- Reduces the asthma in children
In case you are already a zealous and ardent porridge eater, keep it up! In case you require some inspiration, you can try out some new recipes of making your porridge even tastier. You just need to make sure that you make it yourself- beginning with the rolled oats. Try to avoid the pre- flavored packets of the instant oatmeal. They consist of additives and unnecessary sugar.
Risk & precautions while taking oats
Even though the oats do not contain gluten, still, in rare cases, they are grown in the same fields as Barley or wheat. These crops can at times contaminate the oats with the gluten. Hence, the people who have celiac disease or gluten- intolerance should exercise caution while eating oats.