Are you kidding? How can one lose weight whilst sleeping? Isn’t that the time when our body is at complete rest? Or is that the time when it is repairing itself? Surprisingly you can lose weight whilst sleeping. I am not talking about working out, or doing crunches whilst you sleep. I am going to tell you ten simple ways that can help you lose those calories whilst you are fast asleep in dreamland, with not a care in the world. It’s that simple.
- SLEEP IN A DARK ROOM – Sleeping in a completely darkened room with the television switched off helps your body to produce a hormone called melatonin, which not only makes you feel sleepy but also helps you burn calories.
- LET IN THE COLD – Turning down the heat in winter and switching on the air conditioner may help us in attacking that belly fat. An optimum temperature will also allow you a good night’s sleep.
- NO GADGETS IN THE BEDROOM PLEASE – The short wavelength blue light that is emitted from smart phones, tablets, kindles etc hinders the body’s production of melatonin, which in turn disturbs your metabolism.
- MAKE YOUR ROOM MINTY – Light a mint candle before you turn into bed. You can even put a few drops of peppermint oil to your pillow. Research shows that people who sniffed peppermint every two hours lost an average of five pounds a month. Eating mint also keeps the hunger pangs away.
- HAVE A SCHEDULED TEA TIME – Teas like chamomile, lavender and valerian help you go to sleep as well as lose weight. They act as a sedative and help in reducing hunger pangs.
- LOCK YOUR KITCHEN AND PANTRY – Yes. Locking your kitchen at night will stop you going for a snack before turning in. And hide that key so you won’t be tempted.
- HAVE A HOT SHOWER – There is nothing like a long hot soak after a hard day’s work. A hot shower not only relaxes your sore muscles and refreshes you, it also induces sleep.
- DO NOT EAT CHOCOLATE AT NIGHT – I love eating chocolate after my meal. That is not really a good idea as I am pumping my body with calories. Chocolate contains caffeine which may prevent you from going to sleep. If you really need to have that chocolate fix, then have it during the day when you can burn it off and will also not hinder your sleep.
- EAT SMALL PORTIONS AT DINNER– Dinner is the last meal of the day and it is advisable to have a small simple portion so that your body can digest it easily. Heavy meals at dinner time may lead to obesity as your body cannot digest them easily.
- HAVE A PROTEIN SHAKE – Protein shakes before bedtime are known to boost metabolism. Protein is also more thermogenic than carbohydrates or fat, meaning your body burns more calories digesting it.
So no more paying exorbitant prices for gym memberships. No more early morning jogs and walks. Just follow the above routine and watch the pounds melt away.